Tens of millions of people in the U.S. suffer from mental illnesses every year. Unfortunately, only about half of them receive treatment. This is due to the social stigma that still surrounds mental health disorders, and partly because of inadequate knowledge about the channels to pursue when in need of assistance.
At Akua Mind and Body, we provide holistic treatment programs that enable our patients to overcome their mental health issues. As a fully accredited mental health treatment center in Sacramento, we use evidence-backed methods that are effective in treating mental disorders.
Types of Mental Health Disorders
There are several psychological disorders, and these are some of the main categories:
- Psychotic Disorders – These involve abnormal patterns of thought and hallucinations. Patients are unable to connect with reality and instead feel, hear, and see non-existent things. Schizophrenia is an example of a psychotic disorder.
- Trauma-Related Disorders – Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and acute stress disorder (ASD) are types of trauma-related mental health disorders. They usually occur after a stressful event and can be short-term in the case of ASD or long-term for PTSD. Symptoms include flashbacks and nightmares about the traumatizing incident and may appear years after the event took place.
- Eating Disorders – Individuals suffering from eating disorders have unhealthy eating habits. Examples of eating disorders are anorexia nervosa where someone may starve themselves, and binge-eating where a person eats large amounts of food at a go. These behaviors are fueled by feelings of dissatisfaction and lack of confidence about body weight and image.
What are the Symptoms of Mental Illness?
The symptoms of psychiatric disorders vary according to the disorder, but these are some of the most common that are observed in most cases:
- Extreme Mood Swings – Sudden mood changes can indicate a psychological illness. The emotions of an individual with extreme mood swings constantly move between uncontrollable lows to highs.
- Feeling Depressed – When one feels sad or down without a cause, it could point towards a mental health problem. In such instances, a person is unable to stop the depressing feelings or explain why they’re sad.
- Confusion – This is when an individual finds it hard to concentrate on things such as work, school, or chores. They may have difficulty performing tasks that they previously did without much effort and experience mental disarray.
What is the Relationship Between Mental and Physical Health?
Mental health has a direct impact on your physical well-being and vice versa. Studies have shown that mental illnesses, such as depression, increase the risk of diseases such as coronary disease. On the other hand, physical ailments such as skin conditions and disability can lead to the development of mental health disorders. It’s, therefore, crucial that medical professionals pay attention to both when treating either of them.
Get All-Round Mental Health Care
Psychological health problems affect various aspects of your life, including relationships, family work, and education, if not addressed. At Akua Mind and Body mental health treatment center in Sacramento, our patients receive comprehensive treatment to help them gain control over their mental health and, in turn, improve their quality of life. Give us a call today on 833-258-2669 to get the help you or your loved one needs.Mental Health Treatment Center Sacramento
View Larger Map