First Responders Treatment Track
Our First Responders Treatment Program provides firefighters, police officers, paramedics, military and other uniformed personnel with a platform to get their life back on track and begin the healing process. The First Responders track at AKUA Mind & Body works with clients who are struggling with mental health and addiction related issues. AKUA Mind & Body uses a blend of holistic approaches combined with evidence-based treatment to help first responders recognize their underlying triggers and develop healthy coping skills to treat and manage their disorder
- Substance Abuse
- Addiction Treatment
- Psychological Stress
- Mood Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Family Issues/Matters
Inpatient and outpatient treatment programs often include many of the same therapies, but outpatient clients reside at home, whereas residential clients live on-campus for the entirety of the program, including overnight. The benefits of inpatient treatment include:
- Individualized Treatment Assessment: Each first responder’s experience of trauma is different. We understand the unique needs of our clients and offer personalized treatment. This track provides an extensive assessment of trauma symptoms, which is key in the overall trauma treatment process.
- EMDR Therapy: EMDR is an evidence-based practice that is specifically designed to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Our therapists help clients work through traumatic events so that the client can release the negative thoughts associated with that event. Our clinician’s employ most current and effective modalities to treat trauma and are certified in Level 1 and Level 2 EMDR therapy, brainspotting, and cognitive processing.
- Family Therapy: Post-traumatic stress, substance abuse, and related disorders, like anxiety or depression, affect both the client and the family. Our family therapy supports the individual as well as the entire family in creating an atmosphere conducive to rehabilitation. Our program provides family and individual counseling sessions to achieve the best results.
- Peer Support: AKUA provides peer-based support to first responders so that they can feel a sense of belonging and safety sharing with other first responder clients.
- Continuum Of Care: AKUA’s three-step drug treatment program provides detox, residential and an intensive outpatient care. We have highly trained clinicians providing rehab treatment through AKUA’s unique East-meets-West approach
If you are struggling with substance abuse, detoxification is the first step on the path to your recovery. The goal of detoxification is to eliminate drugs and alcohol from the body in a comfortable and supportive environment. Medications are administered under medical supervision to alleviate signs and symptoms associated with withdrawal. Holistic approaches such as yoga, meditation, and acupuncture are offered to relieve any mental and physical stress and tension that can be related to the withdrawal process.
Residential treatment is a 30-day intensive program where clients live in a residential-like setting and engage in group therapy and individual therapy to uncover the root of their addiction and trauma. The goal of residential treatment is not only to help first responders recognize their underlying triggers but to develop healthy coping mechanisms to overcome challenges associated with grief and trauma that they may encounter in their line of work.
Therapeutic approaches offered in residential treatment
- Trauma-based therapies including eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectal behavioral therapy
- Exposure therapy
- Family therapy
Daily physical fitness is also encouraged, and dietician approved, brain-healthy meals are provided daily by a private chef on staff.
Alumni Aftercare Program
The AKUA Alumni Program establishes a social support network of recovering people and provides structure to help sustain emotional, physical and mental wellbeing following treatment. The Alumni Programs’ mission is to extend the AKUA Behavioral Health program beyond treatment by creating events and providing resources to strengthen the sense of connection that is essential to long-term recovery.
Case management and transition of care
Case management begins when each client enters residential treatment and it continues throughout the recovery process. Case Managers work to ensure clients are receiving the proper level of care needed to achieve healing and transformation. They will also communicate with family and community support groups to ensure that each client’s transition from treatment into the real world is successful.
Upon completion of residential treatment, clients are encouraged to continue outpatient treatment and to engage in community support groups such as Narcotics Anonymous, Alcoholic Anonymous, and support groups specifically designed for first responders.
MEET OUR FIRST RESPONDER OUTREACH
Our First Responders Treatment Track is designed to treat the whole person, giving our clients tools for a healthy mind and body. We offer medication management, physical fitness and nutritional counselling to maximize energy levels and expedite the healing process.
AKUA Mind and Body understands the financial burdens that addiction and mental health treatment can have on an individual and their family. As a result, AKUA works closely with most HMO, EPO and PPO insurance plans including AmeriHealth, Optum, Humana, United Healthcare, Allcare Health, Highmark, Oscar, UPMC Health Plan, MetLife and are In-Network with Anthem Blue Cross, Aetna, Multi Plan, Beacon, Magellen, Health Net, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, HMC Health Works, Western Health Advantage, and Tricare.
The specialists at AKUA Drug treatment Newport Beach believe in treating the individual as a whole, rather than treating the diagnosis. Each client has unique treatment timeline involving a collaborative effort from every member of the treatment team.
Maybe you are a 26-year-old female who is struggling with body dissatisfaction fueled by depression, which has developed into a cocaine addiction. Maybe you are a 45-year-old male working in corporate America, drinking excessively to cope with your anxiety despite your loving family.
No matter who you are and what your story is, AKUA Mind and Body believes in tailoring their treatment program to fit your needs so you can live a healthy and fulfilling life, free from addictive substances and the pain of underlying disorders.